Whatcha Got Cooking?
In this section, Cool Springs’ staff members make recommendations for kitchen concoctions you can try at home. Some recipes contain wine or spirits. Some are just paired with wine or spirits. In all cases, we promise palate-pleasing dishes that will (hopefully) inspire you to share it with others. Let us know what you think...
Fish Tacos with Strawberry Salsa
Enjoy this delicious with a great bottle of wine such as, Dry Creek Vineyard Fume Blanc ($12.99 at Cool Springs Wines & Spirits).
Olive oil cooking spray
1 pound halibut fillets or steaks (or other firm white fish such as cod or catfish)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt (preferably kosher), divided
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
8 small (6-inch) corn tortillas
2 pints strawberries, hulled and chopped
1 small green jalapeño chile, seeded and chopped
3 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 cups chopped napa cabbage
1. Heat oven to 450°F. Coat a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Place fish on baking sheet, smooth side down (if fillets); coat with cooking spray; season with cumin, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
3. Stack tortillas, sprinkle with a few drops of water, and wrap tightly in foil.
4. Cook fish and tortillas until fish is opaque and flakes easily with a fork but is still moist, and tortillas are hot, 10 to 15 minutes.
5. In a bowl, combine strawberries, jalapeño, chives, lemon juice, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper; stir.
6. Flake fish into big pieces; unwrap tortillas.
7. Divide fish, strawberry salsa and cabbage evenly among tortillas. Fold and serve.