Whatcha Got Cooking?
In this section, Cool Springs’ staff members make recommendations for kitchen concoctions you can try at home. Some recipes contain wine or spirits. Some are just paired with wine or spirits. In all cases, we promise palate-pleasing dishes that will (hopefully) inspire you to share it with others. Let us know what you think...
Asian Beef with Snow Peas
Pair this Asian classic with an American classic: Trinitas Old Vine Zinfandel ($19.99 at Cool Springs Wines & Spirits). The ripe, full-bodied flavors of raspberry and black pepper in this Zin will provide and outstanding counterpoint to this dish.
6 tablespoons soy sauce
4 tablespoons rice wine
2 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
2 tablespoon minced garlic
1 pound beef round steak, cut into thin strips
8 ounces snow peas
1. In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, rice wine, brown sugar and cornstarch.
2. Heat oil in a wok or skillet over medium high heat.
3. Stir-fry ginger and garlic for 30 seconds.
4. Add the steak and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until evenly browned.
5. Add the snow peas and stir-fry for an additional 3 minutes.
6. Add the soy sauce mixture, bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
7. Lower heat and simmer until the sauce is thick and smooth.
8. Serve immediately.