Whatcha Got Cooking?
In this section, Cool Springs’ staff members make recommendations for kitchen concoctions you can try at home. Some recipes contain wine or spirits. Some are just paired with wine or spirits. In all cases, we promise palate-pleasing dishes that will (hopefully) inspire you to share it with others. Let us know what you think...
Chicken and Corn Chili
Try this zippy variation on chili con carne with a flavorful Spanish red like Los Colinas del Ebro--a flavorful blend of Syrah and Grenache ($12.99 at Cool Springs Wines & Spirits).
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
1 (11 ounce) can Mexican-style corn
1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans
1. Place chicken and salsa in the slow cooker the night before you want to eat this chili.
2. Season with garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper.
3. Cook 6 to 8 hours on Low setting.
4. About 3 to 4 hours before you want to eat, shred the chicken with 2 forks.
5. Return the meat to the pot, and continue cooking.
6. Stir the corn and the pinto beans into the slow cooker.
7. Simmer until ready to serve.