Whatcha Got Cooking?
In this section, Cool Springs’ staff members make recommendations for kitchen concoctions you can try at home. Some recipes contain wine or spirits. Some are just paired with wine or spirits. In all cases, we promise palate-pleasing dishes that will (hopefully) inspire you to share it with others. Let us know what you think...
Corn-Jalapeno Cakes with Smoked Salmon & Lime Creme Fraiche
This recipe comes from the Chateau Ste Michelle winery--so naturally, it is perfectly suited to one of their wines--in this case, their Sauvignon Blanc ($11.99 at Cool Springs Wines & Spirits).
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 ½ cups boiling water
1 cup milk
½ cup flour
2 tbsp melted butter
½ cup corn kernels
1 large or 2 small jalapeno chiles, seeded & finely diced
Smoked salmon either lox style or hard smoked
Chives for garnish
1. Place cornmeal, salt and boiling water in a bowl; stir well and let set for about 5 minutes to soften.
2. Whisk eggs into the cornmeal mixture, one at a time. Stir in milk, then flour; whisk to combine. Add the melted butter and mix well. Fold in corn and jalapenos.
3. Heat a large non-stick sauté pan over medium high heat. Spray with non-stick spray or lightly oil the pan. Drop the mixture by tablespoons to form small pancakes. Cook about 1-2 minutes and turn the pancake. Cook for about 1 more minute, until browned. Remove to a paper towel-lined baking sheet.
4. To serve: place corn cakes on a serving dish, top with a dollop of crème fraiche and a piece of smoked salmon. Garnish with chives.
Lime Creme Fraiche Recipe
1 cup crème fraiche
Zest of 1 lime
Pinch of sugar
Pinch of salt
1. Place the crème fraiche in a small bowl. Add the lime zest, sugar and salt to taste. Chill until ready to use.