Whatcha Got Cooking?
In this section, Cool Springs’ staff members make recommendations for kitchen concoctions you can try at home. Some recipes contain wine or spirits. Some are just paired with wine or spirits. In all cases, we promise palate-pleasing dishes that will (hopefully) inspire you to share it with others. Let us know what you think...
Gumbo Style Chicken
If you haven't tried a Spanish Albarino, you are in for a treat. Mardevinas Albarino is the perfect match for this savory dish ($16.99 at Cool Springs Wines).
1/4 cup oil for frying
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 cups cooked, chopped chicken breast meat
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers, with liquid
1 (4.5 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 dashes hot sauce
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat.
2. Stir in flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until mixture is the color of a copper penny.
3. Reduce heat to low and stir in bell pepper and onion.
4. Cook 10 to 15 minutes, or until tender, stirring occasionally.
5. Add chicken, tomatoes with green chile peppers, mushrooms, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, soy sauce, sugar, salt, pepper and hot sauce.
6. Stir together, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.